AB 540 Coalition
The College Dream Initiative
Deferred Action
Please make sure to inform yourself on the process and the requirements before applying. It is important that you are informed and feel secure and safe enough to apply. Please consider these reasons to consider applying for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) also please read E4FC's "Spotlight on Deferred Action Section" - http://www.e4fc.org/

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA):
The information below describes the current DACA program.  President Obama recently announced an expansion to the program that will go into effect at a later date.

You may currently  request consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals if you:
  1. Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
  2. Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  3. Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  4. Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
  5. Had no lawful status as of June 15, 2012;
  6. Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  7. Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

Age guidelines:
Anyone requesting DACA must have been under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012. You must also be at least 15 years or older to request DACA, unless you are currently in removal proceedings or have a final removal or voluntary departure order. For more information, see http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/consideration-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca.

The application process to request consideration of deferred action began on August 15, 2012. Individuals can call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283 with questions or to request more information on the deferred action for childhood arrivals process or visit

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA): expansion of program announced on Nov 20, 2014
The information below describes the expanded DACA program.  President Obama recently announced an expansion to the program that will go into effect at a later date.

These expansions include:
  • Expanding the population eligible for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program to young people who came to this country before turning 16 years old and have been present since January 1, 2010, and extending the period of DACA and work authorization from two years to three years
  • Allowing parents of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents who have been present in the country since January 1, 2010, to request deferred action and employment authorization for three years, in a new Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents* program, provided they pass required background checks
  • Expanding the use of provisional waivers of unlawful presence to include the spouses and sons and daughters of lawful permanent residents and the sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
The expansion has not yet been implemented, so YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR THE EXPANDED PROGRAM YET!  Be aware that there are many people running scams - be careful of anyone who tells you that you an apply now or that promises you a DACA card under this expanded program!

Things To Know

Click for more 
Information from NILC (National Immigration Law Center) - Please read carefully.

Examples of documents you can use: 
  • Valid or Expired Passports
  • Birth Certificate (Can be translated by a family member or friend) accompanied by photo identification
  • Valid consular IDs or national identity document
  • Previous Photo ID documents issued by the U.S. government
  • Any school IDs with photo
  • Any other official photo ID (for example, a Veteran’s ID or other forms of ID from home country)
  • Valid or Expired Passports withentry stamps
  • School Records
  • Travel records
  • Immunization Cards
  • Hospital and Medical Records
  • Religious Records
  • Financial Records
  • Lease Agreements
  • Religious records
  • Employment Records *Don’t submit anything with a false name or false SSN
  • Utility Bills

- If you don’t have documentary proof, you can submit affidavits for:
  • gaps in five years of continuous residency
  • departures during that period that were brief, casual, and innocent

**If you have no criminal record, have never been involved in any gang activities, have proof of your time in the United States from 6/15/07-6/15/12, have proof that you arrived before the age of 16, have school records, valid forms of ID, you should have no need to consult a lawyer. If you are still unsure of the application process please try to get in contact with a trusted community organization (i.e. AB540 Coalition, UCSB IDEAS). You should only seek a lawyer in special circumstances (i.e. you have spent time in jail for a small violation etc.)

**There are many lawyers and notaries charging families unnecessary feed for filing Deferred Action. If you know of any specific cases please report them


Please read and familiarize yourself with the following:


HomeAnnouncementsPoliciesAB 540 ResourcesCollege OptionsAB 540 College NightGetting InvolvedContact Us